Friday, August 2, 2013

My picks for Doctor Who and the Oscars

This weekend the BBC will announce whom they've chosen to play the 12th Doctor. There is a long list of potential docs, including Idris Elba, Olivia Colman and even Helen Mirren. But I just heard of another candidate and I'm super excited about the possibility: Peter Capaldi. Loved him in Local Hero, adored him in both The Thick of It and The Hour.  I will rejoice if he is chosen! My second choice would be Ben Whishaw. Utterly captivating, dark and mischievous. Third choice? Julian Rhind-Tutt.  So interesting. To my mind, choosing Helen Mirren would be disastrous, but not because she's a woman. She's just too high profile.

And, while we're on the subject of replacements....who should host the next Oscars? Martin Short. Without question. I used to really like Billy Crystal until the last time he hosted. He took a really cheap and mean shot at Jonah Hill. I mean, the kid was having a really big moment.  He was nominated for his work in Moneyball, which was a big departure from his usual gross-out brand of comedy, and all Billy Crystal could muster was to make fun of his weight and eating cupcakes.  Way to ruin a special night. That was just not on.

No comments:

Post a Comment